Thursday, November 19, 2009

A CHILD CALLED IT


I swore I'd never read this book, and I didn't, until five years ago did not touch it. Then a student asked me to read it with him because he felt he could relate to it, but didn't know all of the words in the book. We read it together, cried together, and I began to understand why this book is so popular. It takes readers into the life of someone--someone I hope none of my readers have shared experiences with, and compels the reader to keep going, wondering, wishing, hoping for help for this child, Dave Pelzer. This book has always been checked out. Read it and see why it spent five years on the bestseller list.

5 comments:

  1. I read this book and it made me think twice about child abuse. I cried out of sadness when he was abused and out of happiness when he finally found out how to trick his mother. I think anyone who enjoys reading about things that will make you cry will enjoy this book. But, if you like happy endings read the whole series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my opinion, this book is very interesting. I like how the author described it. I think it is horrible that that really happened to him. But I recommend that everyone should read this book and more books by Dave Pelzer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book is my favorite book. I read it in 6th grade, and I wish thats the only book I could read if I were to choose one. It is full of things at grab your attention and won't want you to put it down. It is terrible of what happens and as well opens peoples eyes to what could happen, like D.B. said, 'it made me think twice about child abuse.' His other books of when he grows up as well are just at good. Dave Pelzer is a wonderful writer. I recommend this to anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this one night before i went to bed and i almost started to cry. It is a really good and sad book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book is the one of many that give us an empty feeling inside that leaves us heart brooken, and clouds our eyes with tears. This book shows the young naiev eye that there is more to the world than the one that "revolves around them" this book is an eye opener to the world, and its ways
    -E.B.G

    ReplyDelete